[dns-operations] good async DNS library

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Apr 26 15:20:08 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 5:57 PM John Kristoff <jtk at depaul.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 21:08:25 +0000
> Klaus Darilion <klaus.mailinglists at pernau.at> wrote:
>
> > Can someon recommend a DNS library (Perl, Python or PHP preferred) that
> > supports:
>
> Hi Klaus,
>
> Net::DNS would be the Perl library I would've recommended.  I don't use
> it as much as I once did, but it did most of what I needed and
> developers were usually very responsive.  I think there was a slight
> turn towards more rigidity, preventing users from being able to do some
> things that may not have been completely in-spec, but those were for
> corner cases.
>
> dnspython is the rough de facto equivalent for Python.  I'm less
> familiar with it, but have used it for basic projects.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with PHP to know what to use there.

This doesn’t exactly answer the original question, but the Go DNS library,
and Miri Gieben’s version
(https://github.com/miekg/dns) are both good and friendly.
It’s also a good excuse to learn go, my new favorite language.

> With either Net::DNS or dnspython I suspect your best bet may be
> working with the associated developer(s) to see if they can help guide
> you to have them do the things you want rather than try to find other
> libraries for those languages.  They are probably the most actively
> developed and complete for their respective environments.  I'm sure
> they'd welcome suggestions, patches and contributions.
>
> John

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf