[dns-operations] good async DNS library

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Thu Apr 25 21:49:03 UTC 2019

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 21:08:25 +0000
Klaus Darilion <klaus.mailinglists at pernau.at> wrote:

> Can someon recommend a DNS library (Perl, Python or PHP preferred) that
> supports:

Hi Klaus,

Net::DNS would be the Perl library I would've recommended.  I don't use
it as much as I once did, but it did most of what I needed and
developers were usually very responsive.  I think there was a slight
turn towards more rigidity, preventing users from being able to do some
things that may not have been completely in-spec, but those were for
corner cases.

dnspython is the rough de facto equivalent for Python.  I'm less
familiar with it, but have used it for basic projects.

I'm not familiar enough with PHP to know what to use there.

With either Net::DNS or dnspython I suspect your best bet may be
working with the associated developer(s) to see if they can help guide
you to have them do the things you want rather than try to find other
libraries for those languages.  They are probably the most actively
developed and complete for their respective environments.  I'm sure
they'd welcome suggestions, patches and contributions.

John