[dns-operations] Mailing List Behaviour Change

Jim Popovitch jimpop at domainmail.org
Sun Apr 7 15:46:13 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-04-07 at 08:56 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 4/6/19 5:07 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > It's a set of configurable options in Mailman where the list can be
> > configured to reject, wrap, munge, or hold, DMARC'ed domains with
> > p=reject, p=quarantine, or p=none.
>
> It's my understanding that all of those default to do nothing and
> require enabling something in the Mailman wide configuration (which list
> operators don't have access to do) and per list settings.

Nope, It's per list configuration.

> I frequently see Mailman mailing lists munging messages from me and not
> other participants that don't have DMARC enabled domains.

Mailman can default to munging if the domain has DNS/DNSSEC resolution issues.
     The decision was made to munge when in doubt if DNSSEC mitigations are
enabled and there are DNS resolution (such as when the mailman host is doing
DNSSEC validation)   There's a further feature to "always munge/wrap a
specific regex of domains"

-Jim P.