[dns-operations] Bad ISPs, DoH and user choice (was Re: Can Root DNS server modify the response?)

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Mon Apr 1 13:36:42 UTC 2019

David Conrad wrote on 2019-03-30 10:12:
> Vittorio,

i am not vittorio but i wish to insert one observation:

> What Mozilla has publicly stated they are doing (see
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/doh/?gbt=1&index=HPTOUtziIYe_PFuawExeetkSjVg):
>
>      [...]
>
>      2. The user will be informed that we have enabled use of a TRR and
>      have the opportunity to turn it off at that time, but will not be
>      required to opt-in to get DoH with a TRR.
>
>      3. Any given client will automatically select a resolver out of that
>      set and use that for all resolutions [with the two exceptions noted
>      below.]
>
>      4. At any time, the user will have the option to select a
>      different resolver out of the list, specify their own resolver, or
>      disable DoH entirely.
>
>      [...]

this is opt-out. while i would protest opt-in, have done so, i find
opt-out in this case to be a declaration of infowar by mozilla against
whatever network operators they select for it. those network operators
will most likely not acquiesce -- certainly in my case, i will fight.

--
P Vixie