[dns-operations] Hybrid DNS

Mark E. Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Fri Sep 21 16:57:27 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-21 10:46 AM, Dave Warren wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 9, 2018, at 13:52, Mark E. Jeftovic wrote:
>>
>> On 2018-09-09 4:19 PM, Mehmet Akcin wrote:
>>
>>> Hello there
>>>
>>> Is there a service provider out there which supports multi-provider
>>> management approach for DNS zones? Including Master management, key
>>> management, performance monitoring (externally) and adjusting of
>>> nameservers? (Ie; remove an unresponsive NS cluster and replace with
>>> some other cluster as needed basis)
>> There is one.
>>
>> easyDNS. https://easydns.com/dns/proactive-nameservers/
>>
>> In order to do this, you have to either be the registrar for the
>> domain, or have API access to the registrar that provides a method to
>> update nameserver delegation. The only other registrar I've ever
>> found that provides a method to update nameservers via API was
>> DNSimple (there may be more now).
>>

> I would think you'd be aware of OpenSRS which seems to have offer
> appropriate capabilities via their API.

Yes, but the OpenSRS API is not registrant-facing, it's reseller-facing
(isn't it?). So you could create your own reseller to get access to this
functionality, but I was speaking more from a perspective of "who out
there is offering this type of system" or what it would take for
somebody to build one.

So far we've added Gandi to the list of registrars that support
modification of nameserver delegation via API.

- mark

Mark E. Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com>
Co-founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.
+1-(416)-535-8672 x 225