[dns-operations] [Ext] a note on fetching the root zone using "dig"

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Nov 1 18:56:34 UTC 2018

On 11/01/2018 12:35 PM, Dave Lawrence wrote:
> Definitely, and something I greatly appreciate about cron.  I can't
> imagine relying on glancing through messages every day that are normally
> indicating everything is okay, hoping that at some point I'll detect when
> it's gone wrong.  Set up monitoring that is usually ignorable and gosh,
> people get trained to ignore it.

I prefer to have both positive and negative messages.  Positive
indicates that things did run, correctly.  Negative indicates that there
was a problem.

I typically like to have the emails have a key word / phrase / message
that I can tune mail filters to.  Everything gets filed in a folder.
Positive messages are marked as read.  Negative messages are NOT marked
as read and may have the priority raised.

That way I can see when there is a message that needs my attention -and-
I have all the positive messages that I've been ignoring telling me that
things are working as they should, when I go look.

I detest when things silently stop being executed.  Thus why I like
occasionally (when I think about it) looking to see and mentally say
"Yep, it's still running, correctly at that.".

> Anyway, what Paul said.   Too much automated noise in our environments
> obscures actionable signal.

I think it's a data display / presentation issue.  IMHO having the data
is always good.  Choosing what to display, by default, is extremely
important.

In my above scenario, I can create an additional script that will check
to see if there are new messages (in the Maildir) for the system, and
let me know if it hasn't seen something in the last x number of days.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die