[dns-operations] [Ext] a note on fetching the root zone using "dig"

Dave Lawrence tale at dd.org
Thu Nov 1 18:35:41 UTC 2018

Paul Vixie writes:
> instead i've got things arranged so that silence means
> success. (which is why cron's e-mail output works
> that way, fwiw.)

Definitely, and something I greatly appreciate about cron.  I can't
imagine relying on glancing through messages every day that are
normally indicating everything is okay, hoping that at some point
I'll detect when it's gone wrong.  Set up monitoring that is usually
ignorable and gosh, people get trained to ignore it.

That's as daft as setting up automated driving such that you need
people to be alert and ready to take over in an emergency situation.
The car normally handles everything just fine on its own until it
can't deal with it anymore, better have the expert human step in!
I mean really, who does that?

Oh right.

Anyway, what Paul said.   Too much automated noise in our environments
obscures actionable signal.