[dns-operations] Some DNSSEC adoption data points, anyone know of more comprehensive surveys?

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Tue May 1 19:31:22 UTC 2018

> On May 1, 2018, at 3:18 PM, Alexander Mayrhofer <alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at> wrote:
>
> On a different note, i'm curious to what extent the myetherwallet incident will impacts DNSSEC adoption.

My guess is that the effect will be indirect and will take time.
Users are far more incentivized by ease of use and support from
their registries and providers, than by publicity around such
events.  The "demo" will I hope help make the business case
at providers that they should be ready for the day when such
attacks stop being news and become the new norm.  If more
providers support CDS and easy enrollment, ... then users
may follow.  So I expect adoption to be driven by Cloudflare,
and others, helping their customers become more secure.

The elephant in the room is Godaddy, I've not seen much
interest in DNSSEC from them as yet.  We'll know DNSSEC
has arrived when Godaddy DNS customers routinely have
DNSSEC enabled.

--
	Viktor.