[dns-operations] Some DNSSEC adoption data points, anyone know of more comprehensive surveys?

Alexander Mayrhofer alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at
Tue May 1 19:18:43 UTC 2018

Hello Viktor, all,

[..]

> The top 10 public suffixes serving non-delegated domains are:
>
>   116074 de
>    14362 info
>     9394 at

Just FYI - we don't do non-delegated domains under .at (at least not under .at, .co.at, .or.at - i can't speak for .ac.at or .gv.at). However, we do add a TXT record "domain gesperrt" to suspended domains (mostly for historical reasons).

Therefore, those domain names artificially increase the "DNSSEC enabled" counter for .at. The number of (delegated!) DNSSEC signed domains is 6372 (as of today), see https://www.nic.at/en/good_to_know/statistics-and-studies/statistics. This is, btw, a fully "organic" growth figure - we never did any promotion or reward scheme to foster DNSSEC enabled registrations.

On a different note, i'm curious to what extent the myetherwallet incident will impacts DNSSEC adoption.

Best,
Alex