[dns-operations] NXDOMAIN plus CNAME answer - works sometimes!?

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Thu Mar 22 16:00:11 UTC 2018

On 22 March 2018 at 11:48, James Stevens <James.Stevens at jrcs.co.uk> wrote:

> But "amazonaws.com" /does/ exist, so surely authority from the COM zone
> /alone/ can't be cited to say the CNAME doesn't exist?

They're not authoritative for .com... they're answering authoritatively for
.com.  It's an important distinction.  They're claiming to be authoritative
for .com, presumably for reasons of simplified provisioning on their DNS
servers (I've seen this sort of thing done before).. they do not have a
copy of the actual .com zone.  So as far as their servers are concerned,
there likely is no amazonaws.com.