[dns-operations] RFC2308, negative answer caching, and the largest gTLDs

Olafur Gudmundsson ogud at ogud.com
Sun Mar 11 22:30:15 UTC 2018

> On Mar 9, 2018, at 3:22 PM, Wessels, Duane <dwessels at verisign.com> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> Very early on the .com and .net zones had an SOA minimum value of 86400.  Probably because "that's the way it always was."
>
> Around 2004 we decreased the time between registry update and publication in the zone.  The SOA TTL and minimum values were changed to 900.  It remained this way until 2010.
>
> In 2010, the .com and .net zones were signed with DNSSEC and the SOA minimum unfortunately regressed to its previous value of 86400, where it remains today.
>
> As far as we're aware, the regression has not caused any significant operational issues and our philosophy has been "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  That said, we are open to changing it back to 900 if there are good reasons to do so.  If anyone is aware of such reasons or operational problems with the current values, we'd like to hear about it.
>
> DW

Right now if a resolver caches an entry for a domain after it is registered but before it is available in the com/net server the query goes to, that resolver is blind to that fact for 24 hours,
Please lower this value to something lower 900 would be great 7200 is fine if you lower all TTL’s from com/net/etc…. to that at the same time :-)
Internet moves faster today than it did in 1990,

Olafur