[dns-operations] RFC2308, negative answer caching, and the largest gTLDs

Wessels, Duane dwessels at verisign.com
Fri Mar 9 20:22:06 UTC 2018

All,

Very early on the .com and .net zones had an SOA minimum value of 86400.  Probably because "that's the way it always was."

Around 2004 we decreased the time between registry update and publication in the zone.  The SOA TTL and minimum values were changed to 900.  It remained this way until 2010.

In 2010, the .com and .net zones were signed with DNSSEC and the SOA minimum unfortunately regressed to its previous value of 86400, where it remains today.

As far as we're aware, the regression has not caused any significant operational issues and our philosophy has been "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  That said, we are open to changing it back to 900 if there are good reasons to do so.  If anyone is aware of such reasons or operational problems with the current values, we'd like to hear about it.

DW