[dns-operations] DNS over TLS: slowly happening

John Todd jtodd at quad9.net
Tue Jun 26 17:24:19 UTC 2018

On 26 Jun 2018, at 10:07, Tony Finch wrote:

> John Todd <jtodd at quad9.net> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed; we’ve not seen any complaints about broken sessions
>> (we’ve
>> been running DTLS since our public launch 11/2017) though of course
>> that
>> could be occurring with some regularity but not noticed. It seems
>> that
>> most DTLS client implementations perform re-connections aggressively
>> enough to disguise any failures due to path shifts.
>
> Do you mean DNS-over-DTLS here, or DNS-over-TLS? I wasn't previously
> aware
> of much enthusiasm for DTLS.
>
> Tony.
> --
> f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
> Dover, Wight, Portland, Plymouth, North Biscay: East or northeast 4 or
> 5,
> increasing 6 at times. Smooth or slight, becoming slight or moderate
> later.
> Fair. Moderate or good.

Apologies - DNS-over-TLS was my hoped-for implication with that
shorthand, but I continually forget it’s a pre-existing acronym with
similar intent. For clarification: Quad9 has been delivering
DNS-over-TLS (RFC7858) since launch, but has not deployed any production
instances of DTLS (RFC8094)

I will try to again force myself into the habit of using the full, lumpy
“DNS-over-TLS” phrasing unless there is a preferred shorthand to lop
a few letters out of there and acronym-ize the acronyms.

JT