[dns-operations] DNS challenge+response paper

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jun 21 23:14:21 UTC 2018

On a quick partial read he doesn’t really understand how DNS COOKIES work.
When you talk about them protecting the zone, not the server, you know that
they are not properly understood.

Also DNS COOKIES work in concert with RRL and could be used in concert
with DNS-over-TCP.  COOKIE have also been deployed for a number of years
and there is zero evidence that real life behaviour has been looked at.

6.8% of TLD servers respond with a valid server cookie.
https://ednscomp.isc.org/compliance/ts/tld-graphs.html

What I’d like to see what percentage of queries had a DNS COOKIE or SIT (65001)
option in them for the last 3 years in the DITL traffic so we can see
deployment rates in recursive servers.  SIT was what named sent prior to
the DNS COOKIE code point being allocated.

The paper also ignores the benefits the client sees in deploying DNS COOKIE. It
is a win for both sides to deploy.

Mark