[dns-operations] DNS challenge+response paper

Mark Allman mallman at icir.org
Thu Jun 21 17:14:08 UTC 2018

I think the last time I flogged a paper on here, it was me who ended
up getting flogged.  But, I apparently don't learn, so here is
another one ... :-)

Comments appreciated!

allman

Rami Al-Dalky, Michael Rabinovich, Mark Allman. Practical
Challenge-Response for DNS. ACM Computer Communication Review,
48(3), July 2018. To appear.

https://www.icir.org/mallman/pubs/ARA18/

Abstract:

  Authoritative DNS servers are susceptible to being leveraged in
  denial of service attacks in which the attacker sends DNS queries
  while masquerading as a victim---and hence causing the DNS server
  to send the responses to the victim. This reflection off innocent
  DNS servers hides the attackers identity and often allows the
  attackers to amplify their traffic by employing small requests to
  elicit large responses. Several challenge-response techniques have
  been proposed to establish a requester's identity before sending a
  full answer. However, none of these are practical in that they do
  not work in the face of "resolver pools"---or groups of DNS
  resolvers that work in concert to lookup records in the DNS. In
  these cases a challenge transmitted to some resolver R1 may be
  handled by a resolver R2, hence leaving an authoritative DNS
  server wondering whether R2 is in fact another resolver in the
  pool or a victim. We offer a practical challenge-response
  mechanism that uses challenge chains to establish identity in the
  face of resolver pools. We illustrate that the practical cost of
  our scheme in terms of added delay is small.