[dns-operations] Anyone on this list from Arbor Networks (or know a solid engineering contact)?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jun 20 08:56:07 UTC 2018

Unfortunately it is a knob that doesn’t really do any good for anyone.
All it does is turn NXDOMAIN/NOERROR NODATA into SERVFAIL.  Foot, Gun,
pull trigger.  DNS queries haven’t been mostly A records or even A and AAAA
records for over a decade now.

Similarly firewalls that assume normal queries don’t have EDNS options or
that currently reserved flag bits won’t be set or EDNS version will always
be zero just make the DNS brittle.  They don’t actually do anything useful
by dropping such queries.  EDNS servers handle all of these conditions.

All dropping these sorts of queries does is slow down your and other firewall
vendors customer’s customer’s lookups as the recursive servers try different
styles of queries and occasionally break DNSSEC when those servers back off
too far because no response doesn’t currently mean “packet loss”.

The features need to be removed and/or clearly document the negative effects
of enabling them.

If you don’t want to answer particular EDNS options remove them from the query
and pass the rest of the request through.  That won’t break the client provided
TSIG/SIG(0) is not in use. The server will just look like it doesn’t support the
option.  Similarly for currently reserved flag bits in the DNS and EDNS headers.
If they are worried about EDNS version != 0 then send back BADVERS with the
supported version (0) set.

Mark