[dns-operations] EDNS1 tests in the ednscomp tool

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 4 12:33:46 UTC 2018

On May 31 2018, Ray Bellis wrote:

>Copying the question into the response is actually required:
>
>From 6891:
>
>   The minimal response MUST be the DNS header, question section, and an
>   OPT record.  This MUST also occur when a truncated response (using
>   the DNS header's TC bit) is returned.

Yes, I was totally off-target here. When the ednscomp tool complains about
"not expecting to see an SOA record" it presumably means in the answer
section, not in the query section.

>It would seem as Mark suggests though that sometimes the answers coming
>back are not correct.

It's possible that anycasting is the reason I haven't been able to get
any bad responses to "dig +edns=1" from the ui-dns.biz servers myself.

  --
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk