[dns-operations] Oh, What a Fragile Web We Weave: Third-party Service Dependencies In

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Jul 5 22:49:18 UTC 2018

Hi Jim and Andrew,

> On 26 Jun 2018, at 18:12, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:
>

>> On 26 Jun 2018, at 16:52, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
>>
>> An important observation in here is
>> that, in the concentrating-services Internet economy, people have
>> dependencies on others that they don't even know about.  In the
>> physical world, people have often specified redundant transit only to
>> find themselves hosed when all their redundancy traverses a common
>> peering point somewhere upstream.  This result is a similar one, only
>> in a much more ubiquitous (and, sometimes, fragile) way.
>
> We are in violent agreement Andrew.
>
> All I was saying is this is hardly news. Or shouldn't be. And of course it's increasingly difficult to fully evaluate or audit the level of redundancy is as expected. That shouldn't surprise anyone either.

Indeed, we are all in agreement, but the interdependencies are not always obvious, or the scale (to which extent).

I also want to point out that Giovane Moura presented similar insights at the IEPG inSingapore, and gave some recommendations at the IEPG in London.

https://iepg.org/2017-11-12-ietf100/02-moura-iepg-ietf100-overlap.pdf
https://iepg.org/2018-03-18-ietf101/mauro.pdf

— Benno

--