[dns-operations] Oh, What a Fragile Web We Weave: Third-party Service Dependencies In

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jul 4 15:37:33 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 06:45:21PM +0200,
 Witold Krecicki <wpk at isc.org> wrote
 a message of 26 lines which said:

> There's a difference between gut feeling and a proper research.

I fully agree. Speaking of proper research, there is also a DNS
dependency study at SSTIC
<http://actes.sstic.org/SSTIC18/actes-sstic-2018.pdf>. The article is
the one named "DNS Single Point of Failure Detection using Transitive
Availability  Dependency Analysis".

Among other results, "We also discovered that over one
domain out of 20 from Alexa top 1 Million web server domain names
depend on a single IP address to work properly."