[dns-operations] blockchain DNS

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Jan 29 17:28:04 UTC 2018

>> nobody's figured out how to do for free the useful part of what
>> Elsevier does, gatekeepers and reviewers who find the
>> publication-worthy stuff in the mountain of garbage.
>
> It is done *today* for free. Reviewers are *not* paid by Elsevier,

Sure, but they pay editors and typesetters and people who nag reviewers
and all the other people who turn random papers into journals that are
worth reading.

I happen to agree that the prices that academic journal publishers charge
are ridiculous, but so long as academics keep sending papers to those
journals and agreeing to review for those journals, the publishers have no
incentive to change.  This is not a problem that any bulletproof pirate
DNS, no matter how clever, can address.

So as I said, blockchain DNS solves no real world problem.  I hope we can

R's,
John