[dns-operations] anti-business hippies (Re: the real reason for ICANN's gTLD expansion seems to be...)

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Wed Jan 3 20:34:31 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 3:07 PM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> David C Lawrence wrote:
>
>> Kevin Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> Has the amount of abuse on the internet gone up since the
>>>>

>> John Franklin wrote:
>>
>>> How would you quantify that?  I can see new gTLDs creating new
>>> portals on the internet for bad actors, but I would expect the
>>> number of said bad actors behind them to remain relatively stable.
>>>

>> I suspect that was Kevin's point, trying to suss out whether gTLD
>> expansion is in any way a part of making things worse, or essentially
>> neutral.
>>

> i'm not sure why i would care. whether or not gtld-induced badness is part
> of a zero sum game is irrelevant. if there is net new badness, i don't like
> it. if it allowed some badness to move here from elsewhere, i don't like
> that either.

​There is one difference. If the badness has moved rather than this being
new badness, we can avoid the problem entirely by blocking the new gTLDs
entirely.​

I have yet to hear one good reason for supporting resolution of the new
gTLDs.

Is ICANN sharing any of the rent they are extracting with me? No.

Is there any resource that is not malicious of significance on a gTLD? Not
that I am aware.

​Black hole rout 'em till they give the community a good reason to exist.

gTLDs should cost $15/yr and $1​/yr of that go to supporting a
multi-registry back end (without perpetual renewal clauses) to provide
scaling. Domain suffixes would eventually wither away and die the death
they richly deserve.

For a little while, people would have to type 'www.microsoft' to get where
they want to go because the string 'microsoft' would not be assumed to be a
search keyword. But that would go away over time.

Want to get to the mail server? There's an SRV for that. Want the time
service? There's an SRV for that.

Outside large hierarchical institutions like MIT, GE, etc., the only
application protocols that would end up using subdomains is SSH and their
ilk which are the only application protocols that properly connects to a
host as opposed to a service.

​The main obstacle to making it happen is oddly enough BitCoin because the
obvious way to make an open gTLD registry work is with a notary log at the
heart of it. Problem being that when the BitCoin ​bubble bursts it is
almost certain to take anything blockchain down with it. Just like the
South Sea bubble killed the notion of joint stock companies for a century.