[dns-operations] EDNS client subnet authoritative server implementation

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Fri Feb 9 20:17:40 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 01:30:50PM -0600, John Kristoff wrote:
> I want to be able to receive the ECS detail from the resolvers
> querying for my names if they are willing to send it to me.  As far as
> I know only Google's resolvers will do this automatically, but that
> would be enough for my purposes if it is all I can get.

Sorry, my mistake, I thought you said you wanted your server to send
the option and log responses.

If you run BIND 9.12 and turn on query logging, ECS values will be
logged:

4566.   [func]          Query logging now includes the ECS option if one
                        was included in the query. [RT #44476]

But if you set your server up to send back tailored responses,
the ECS options that are sent back might not be strictly correct.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.