[dns-operations] Registrar for .net and .com fails to accept an NS in .edu

John W.O'Brien obrienjw at upenn.edu
Wed Dec 5 14:40:55 UTC 2018

On 2018/12/05 06:36, Tony Finch wrote:
> Ray Bellis <ray at isc.org> wrote:
>> On 05/12/2018 01:18, John W.O'Brien wrote:
>>
>>> For those on the list who have been waiting breathlessly to hear about
>>> the next chapter in this little saga, wait no more! My .edu registrar
>>> has informed me that they are unable to register server names with
>>> greater than three labels. So... The saga continues?
>>
>> It sounds like you need a new registrar.
>>
>> To my knowledge any such limitation they're imposing is completely artificial
>> and of their own making.
>
> It seems EDUCAUSE has a monopoly over .edu - https://net.educause.edu/
> Sadfacepalm.
>
> One way to work around this is to create aliases for
> uphs{1,2,3}.uphs.upenn.edu under a less problematic TLD.

Discovering existing aliases the hard way while renumbering the
authorities in question, and thence trying to eliminate the aliases is
how I embarked on this saga in the first place.

At the moment it seems the only options remaining are to live with the
aliases or to consolidate in the other direction.

--
John W. O'Brien
University of Pennsylvania