[dns-operations] EDNS flag day

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Aug 8 09:26:23 UTC 2018

Petr Špaček <petr.spacek at nic.cz> wrote:

> Hopefully these authoritatives will get fixed during https://dnsflagday.net/

I'm a bit puzzled about how this is going to work.

I kind of expected that the major resolvers would release code to
implement the flag day this year, so there is plenty of time for it to be
widely deployed so that the big event actually happens; but I haven't
noticed any sign of that. On the other hand the plan might be that
resolvers released after the flag day would have the workarounds removed,
but this will create a massive disincentive for resolver operators to
upgrade because they will be blamed for the breakage not the authoritative
servers - last thing to change gets the blame.

Tony.
public services of the highest quality