[dns-operations] TLD(s) for private use

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Sep 7 11:08:52 UTC 2017

> On 7 Sep 2017, at 11:47, James Stevens <James.Stevens at jrcs.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Every home LAN has a DHCP server and rfc1918 private address space - according to this "correct" solution every home should be buying a public name space to use on that LAN.

Nope. If someone in that setting wants to have globally unique names, they need to do so by registering a globally unique domain name. If there's no requirement in these setups for globally unique names, they don't need to do that. For instance they could rely on unmanaged BonJour-style naming services.

BTW, my home LAN does not have a DHCP server or rfc1918 addresses.