[dns-operations] TLD(s) for private use

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Sep 6 11:29:23 UTC 2017

 Stephane Bortzmeyer writes:

 > > I'm guessing dot-ZZ might fit that criterion, on the basis no country will
 > > ever get it,
 >
 > I wouldn't be so sure, ISO 3166 does not reserve that code in any way.

It actually does in a certain way. Citating the ISO 3166-1 (2013)

	Code elements A A, QM to QZ, XA to XZ, and ZZ are not part of
	this part of ISO 3166. Their use is described in Clause 8.

And clause 8 basically says that these codes elements are
"User-assigned code elements". They can be freely used while still
adhering to the standard. There is a warning that one cannot expect
that these are unique. Therefor, the chance that ICANN/PTI/IETF will
use them as TLD labes seem pretty slim to me.

But, as people have mentioned before, using a label within the
namespace oneself controls, is likely the most save option.

	jaap