[dns-operations] new public DNS service: 9.9.9.9

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Fri Nov 24 01:54:36 UTC 2017

On 23 November 2017 at 18:17, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> Matthew Pounsett wrote:
>
>> The reason I excluded rpzone.us <http://rpzone.us> above is that they
>> charge in tiers by the query, which implies that, rather than provide an
>> RPZ feed, they provide an RDNS service similar to the RBLs.
>>

> rpz does not work that way. as in, no implementation works that way, and
> that methodology is undefined, and is nowhere recommended. so, i think we
> must be misunderstanding how their tiers work.

I don't think we are. I think what they're doing is providing a recursive
DNS service backed by RPZ rather than an RPZ feed.

To quote their website[0], linked from dnsrpz.info:

The cost for the RPZone.us query service starts at $10 per month for a
capacity of 1 query per second, equivalent to about 2.6 million queries if
you queried exactly once per second for 30 days.

[0]: <https://service.dissectcyber.com/rpz/>