[dns-operations] new public DNS service: 9.9.9.9

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Sat Nov 18 18:47:46 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-17 23:41, Paul Vixie wrote:
> what was your use case for quad9, such that the round trip time
> mattered? that is, why were you considering them?

Given the fact that so many large providers, popular sites, and CDNs use
DNS records with very short TTLs, I find slow DNS responses to have a
noticeable impact on the enduser webbrowsing experience.

200ms is into the range that users may notice, especially considering
that most sites load resources from multiple hosts, many such requests
include blocking resources.

As for why someone might want an public resolver, or 9.9.9.9
specifically, there are various reasonable reasons. Like yourself, I
prefer to run my own on networks that I control.