[dns-operations] new public DNS service: 9.9.9.9

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Nov 21 17:30:55 UTC 2017

Paul Vixie wrote:
> Tony Finch wrote:
>> Paul Vixie<paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
>>> their network, their rules.
>>
>> Rules are only fair if they are properly explained.
>
> ..., there is no obligation to be fair. ...

notably, if a gov't decides to regulate a network owner (ISP or
otherwise) under the banner of "fairness", you may see different
regulation regimes in each country, you may see stuff like SOPA, and you
will probably see anti-spam systems like RBL outlawed wherever the
advertising industry has lobbyists.

so, let's be careful what we wish for. network neutrality sounds good
but like "organic" these terms can be pirated by commercial interests
until they no longer mean what the grass-roots community intended.

--
P Vixie