[dns-operations] gTLD controlled interruption for fun and profit

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue May 2 14:04:16 UTC 2017

Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

> Has anyone documented an actual instance of a name collision event or
> problem with any of the recently created gTLDs?

It affected us in a small way. I'm not sure it's a very interesting
example - "everyone" (including us) knows that relying on unqualified
domains is risky, and it was mostly a historical remnant which we had
largely stopped using years ago.

http://fanf.livejournal.com/123783.html

In the end we simply turned off support for unqualified local mail domains
on our servers. Fortunately address books have taken over from retyping
email addresses so only about 0.1% of our users (including me) were still
rocking 1990s retro email habits so it wasn't hard to turn it off.

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty, Forth, Tyne, Dogger: Easterly, backing northeasterly later,
4 or 5, increasing 6 at times in southeast Dogger. Slight or moderate. Fair.
Good.