[dns-operations] Cleaning up glue with dynamic DNS updates

Peter Koch pk at denic.de
Sun Mar 19 18:40:11 UTC 2017

Hi Anand,

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 05:02:17PM +0100, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> So far, none of the responses have indicated that there might a simple
> operation to unconditionally delete all in-bailiwick glue under a given
> name. So I guess I will combine your idea and other ideas, and see if I
> can come up with a reasonable solution.

within the boundaries of RFC 2136, prerequisites and updates, the
protocol does not allow operations that go beyond a single node
in the domain tree. Finding the name server targets with a type NS
query before sending the updates should work reasonably well.
Of course, this only makes sense (i.e., can be safely applied)
with a narrow glue policy, that you have indicated your zone
in question being subject to.

Regards,
  Peter