[dns-operations] Cleaning up glue with dynamic DNS updates

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Sun Mar 19 13:30:08 UTC 2017

  Anand,

On 19 Mar 2017, at 1:01, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> This assumes that I know what the glue records are. If I don't know
> which glue records exist, is there any way encoding into an update
> something like "delete all A and AAAA records, regardless of the number
> of labels, below this name" ?

  Would it meet your need to proceed as follows?

  Retrieve and hold the NS RRset of interest.
  Copy the RDATA from each NS RR, excluding any out-of-bailiwick references,
  to construct a list of glue names.
  Delete the held NS RRs and the A, AAAA records for the constructed list
  of glue names.

  If the absence of a delend causes an error condition,
  ignore the error and continue.

  This won't catch either sibling glue or gratuitous address records.

  I hope this helps.

  Niall