[dns-operations] Additional information about the RIPE NCC reverse DNS issue

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Sun Mar 19 01:34:25 UTC 2017

On 03/18/2017 08:46 AM, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> This is a follow-up to our message of Friday about issues with some
> reverse delegations.
>
> After doing a thorough analysis, and with the help of ARIN staff, we
> found more issues with our zonelet generation code

Can you say more about the benefit of this "zonelet" system vs. ARIN
simply delegating the appropriate zones to you, and you managing them
like any other DNS zone?

I do appreciate you keeping the community informed about the causes of
the outage, but it seems that at least part of the root cause is that
you're operating what sounds like a fairly fragile system in the first
place, with (de fact) insufficient validity checking.

Doug