[dns-operations] Additional information about the RIPE NCC reverse DNS issue

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Sat Mar 18 15:46:40 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

This is a follow-up to our message of Friday about issues with some
reverse delegations.

After doing a thorough analysis, and with the help of ARIN staff, we
found more issues with our zonelet generation code, and this showed that
we had indeed published some empty zonelet files. From ARIN's point of
view these were valid zonelets, with no content, and that is why the
delegations were removed. Similarly, three zonelets that APNIC picks up
also had empty content.

We fixed these issues late on Friday afternoon, and by Friday evening,
both registries had re-imported the correct zonelets and were again
publishing the missing delegations.

We will evaluate our code review and testing to prevent this from
happening again, and add some monitoring to alert us to such a situation
earlier. We are also discussing this with the other RIRs to find ways to
improve the zonelet exchange process.

Regards,
Anand Buddhdev
RIPE NCC