[dns-operations] comcast.net DNSSEC validation issues

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jun 22 14:33:21 UTC 2017

In message <D57121D7.B642D%Mark_Feldman at cable.comcast.com>, "Feldman, Mark" writes:
> Hi, Rob.  Feel free to provide me your additional details off-list.
> Funny thing is that we don't have a haughtington.comcast.net subdomain (or
> label), so you should get NXDOMAIN there.  DS queries go to the parent,
> which for comcast.net would be the .net name servers.

Where DS queries go is much more subtle than that.  A DS query for
gmail.com:\032haughtington.comcast.net will go to the servers for
comcast.net.  For com:\032haughtington.comcast.net it will go to
the servers for comcast.net.  For comcast.net will go to the servers
for net if the client is DNSSEC aware otherwise they will go to the
servers for comcast.net.

The servers for comcast.net can also get query for DS comcast.net
if they were also serving the root zone and that query needs to be
answered from the comcast.net zone.  The client will detect that
this is a grandparent / grandchild relationship and discover the
servers for the intermediate zone and ask them for the DS record.
Normally this issue happens deeper in the tree.

These rules are complicated but they allow both DNSSEC and non-DNSSEC
aware clients to get a answer for a DS query at the zone name.

Also the second label was "com:\032haughtington".  The query was
most probably generated because someone cut and pasted
"gmail.com: haughtington.comcast.net" into a dialog box. '\032' is
how you encode a space into a DNS label.

Mark