[dns-operations] Denying Whois DB by GeoIP

Kaio Rafael kaiorafael at dcc.ufam.edu.br
Fri Jun 9 15:19:57 UTC 2017

Em sexta-feira, 9 de junho de 2017, Patrik Fältström <paf at frobbit.se>
escreveu:

> On 9 Jun 2017, at 2:55, John Levine wrote:
>
> > For some reason there is a bunch of self-appointed
> > privacy advocates who deny that WHOIS is useful for security research
> > at all.
>
> Correct.

I can not say here on list that any researcher or privacy advocate is wrong
about that. I have my personal opinion about it whatsoever, but I try to
publish it on  academic papers, where I am able to give further evidences.
:)

> And lots of push in ICANN to recognize something that is called "proxy
> registrations".
>
> But there is also legislation that say that things like whois data that
> describe private persons (as compared to organisations) is not to be
> publicly available. And we in the EU get new legislation called GDPR from
> May 2018 that makes things even more complicated.

For instance, I am not able to see any privacy issue on domain
Creation Date and Country attributes.

Anyhow, my initial inquery was to know why Brazil has been bloqued at .co.nz.
I have got this answer, and is okay to me now.

By the way, I was not disrupting any server, I was looking for 3 domains
only. Lol

   Patrik

--
Kaio Rafael,