[dns-operations] Denying Whois DB by GeoIP

Daniel Griggs daniel at nzrs.net.nz
Fri Jun 9 00:20:39 UTC 2017

Hi Kaio,

First off, we aren't specifically blocking Brazil. So sorry that you're seeing that.

What we do, have is rate limiting to prevent abuse, or at least to discourage abuse. We have two different levels of enforcement to try and prevent contact detail harvesting from individuals and botnets. The first is a per IP address rate limit, the second is per country rate limiting (using geo-ip lookups). Its just unfortunate that recently our whois service has been hit pretty hard with queries originating from Brazil.

There is a process which you can follow to get an exemption, so feel free to contact me offlist to organise that.

--
Daniel Griggs
daniel at nzrs.net.nz