[dns-operations] Emoji "Female" symbol fails to resolve at Google's 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Jul 15 10:38:54 UTC 2017

Andrew,

On Jul 14, 2017, 5:57 AM +0200, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com>, wrote:
> > > It's unfortunate that ICANN continues to portray itself in public as
> > > somehow having something to do with making a decision about this,
> > > despite its chartered limited role.
> > I'm curious: who do you believe decides to follow IETF (or any other) standards in the context of the root and/or gTLD zones?
> I left the whole of what you quoted to show that, indeed, under the
> most literal interpretation of what I said, the implication of your
> rhetorical question (for I presume that is what it was) is reasonable.

I'm intrigued how there could be another interpretation, but no matter...

> If I am incorrect, and that ICANN's policies are somehow otherwise to
> pick and choose among standards adopted by the IETF, it would be great
> to know that.

I remain curious: are you suggesting that if the IETF were to standardize on something that in the view of (say) ICANN's Security and Stability Advisory Committee would be detrimental to the "security and stability of the Internet's system of unique identifiers" that the ICANN organization would be required to implement that standard, regardless of ICANN's Bylaws?

Regards,
-drc
(Speaking only for myself)