[dns-operations] Emoji "Female" symbol fails to resolve at Google's 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Jul 14 03:35:46 UTC 2017

David,

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:36:55AM +0200, David Conrad wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> > It's unfortunate that ICANN continues to portray itself in public as
> > somehow having something to do with making a decision about this,
> > despite its chartered limited role.
>
> I'm curious: who do you believe decides to follow IETF (or any other) standards in the context of the root and/or gTLD zones?

I left the whole of what you quoted to show that, indeed, under the
most literal interpretation of what I said, the implication of your
rhetorical question (for I presume that is what it was) is reasonable.

To be clearer, I was suggesting that ICANN's policies were already to
cleave to such Internet standards as are adopted through the IETF
rough consensus process, and so there was literally no decision to be
made in this case since the IETF had followed the advice of UTC and
therefore emojis are not part of the possible set of code points in
any conforming registry.

If I am incorrect, and that ICANN's policies are somehow otherwise to
pick and choose among standards adopted by the IETF, it would be great
to know that.  Even if it is just …

> (Speaking for myself only)

…in your personal opinion.

Best regards,