[dns-operations] Bloke takes over every .io domain by snapping up crucial name servers

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Jul 12 17:02:14 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 05:43:53PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> There's no mention of delegation or glue in RFC 5452.

No, I know.  Section 6, however, got changed in meaning between the
-05 and -06 drafts.  I don't recall whether it was due to a
controversy on-list, or in an IETF meeting, or in a hallway
discussion, or in off-list disagreements.  Anyway, it originally
suggested asking only the authority for the data and later said for
the QNAME or its parent.  I do recall the discussions having been
fairly painful, I just don't recall why.

> I think the actual inspiration

I would never speculate as to what actually inspired anyone to do
anything in the DNS :)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com