[dns-operations] Hall of DNS Shame (?)

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Wed Jan 25 07:18:02 UTC 2017

Hi Robert,

On 01/24/17 18:47, Robert Edmonds wrote:
> It would be cool to have it entirely repository-driven, for example the
> repository could have:
>
>  - A collection of broken DNS messages, with annotations like a list of
>    references to the RFC clauses violated.

Something like this would be the minimum, need to be fairly easy to
replicate and be in a machine readable format (DNS-in-JSON maybe?).

>  - A driver script to execute the suite of broken messages against the
>    message parsers, and collect and present the results.

This is a cool idea, certainly make sure that something like this would
be possible but I think we need to put it off to sometime in the future.

>  - There's a ton of broken nameservers out there.
>
>  - Highlighting the broken nameservers might get some of them fixed.

This is a noble idea but I doubt that the really broken software will
even be made public to be able to run against the set of data. Maybe
include meta information for the DNS violation about where it was found,
if there is public available services etc so it could be rechecked if
it's still there.

Cheers,
Jerry