[dns-operations] How Stack Overflow plans to survive the next DNS attack

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Jan 11 12:37:37 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:20:37PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> I also note that it is is difficult (too difficult) to have several
> DNS providers. They don't accept AXFR/IXFR so the customer is
> locked.

It is important to note that this is not true of all such providers.
(My employer, for one, happily speaks [A|I]XFR; they're not alone.)
But there are some disadvantages.  Obviously, since the mechanisms for
all the various DNS tricks is non-standard, such tricks are not
portable across providers.  Moreover, because zone transfers work by
getting the target server(s) to ask you for the zone, it's not exactly
possible to "push" a change through transfer the way it is through DNS
Update or an API call.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com