[dns-operations] Issue with eBay nameservers causing broken pages

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Feb 2 13:09:59 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

[shameless plug, today we published some DNSSEC numbers that might interest
or astound you on https://powerdns.org/dnssec-stats/ ]

Since we are on the topic of the 'Hall of shame', PowerDNS is currently
working with customers to resolve issues with an eBay related domain name,
thumbs.g.ebay.com.  When this domain breaks, thumbnails do not show up
correctly on eBay pages.  This impacts images hosted on
thumbs.ebaystatic.com, which is a CNAME to thumbs.g.ebay.com.

The cause:

$ dig -t MX +norecurs thumbs.g.ebay.com @g6.ebay.com
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
g.ebay.com.		60	IN	SOA	g3.ebay.com. hostmaster.ebay.com. 3364 10800 3600 604800 60

This NXDOMAIN causes subsequent A and AAAA queries to also NXDOMAIN on
a compliant resolver. It emits this NXDOMAIN for most query types that are
not A or AAAA.

'g6.ebay.com' does respond correctly for AAAA, for example:

thumbs.g.ebay.com.	60	IN	CNAME	slot5842.ebay.com.edgekey.net.

We have reached out to our contacts within eBay but these are not from the
right department. We have also reached out to partners of eBay if these can
perhaps reach the right people (thanks).

However, if you are eBay, or if you know anyone responsible for
'g3.ebay.com', please see what you can do.

For PowerDNS users, a Lua preoutquery rule can work around this issue.

	Bert
	PowerDNS