[dns-operations] some advice on configuring the dns resolver inside "systemd"

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed Dec 27 06:37:46 UTC 2017

Robert Edmonds wrote:
> He also spends a lot of time complaining about "implementing state
> tracking against a stateless protocol" (he appears to think that that's
> bad), yet the recursive DNS server he recommends implements exactly that
> (https://www.unbound.net/documentation/info_timeout.html), and much more
> (e.g., RTT tracking).

the article seemed clear that systemd's state tracking could turn into
an infinite holddown. unbound doesn't have that. perhaps systemd doesn't
either.

> I'm not entirely sure what point he's trying to make other than that he
> prefers the glibc nss-dns stub resolver when configured in a particular
> way to the nss-resolve + systemd-resolved stub resolver.

my read is, he doesn't want to have to choose his dns stub logic as a
side effect of having chosen his OS boot vehicle. and, i agree. for most
of my systems, resolv.conf is managed by DHCP, and every application can
be debugged with the libc or glibc logic in mind.

--
P Vixie