[dns-operations] some advice on configuring the dns resolver inside "systemd"

Robert Edmonds edmonds at mycre.ws
Wed Dec 27 05:30:52 UTC 2017

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2017, Paul Vixie wrote:
>
> > <<I'll jump right to the work-around. If you're running a system which
> > is using systemd, you should probably be running systemd-resolved
> > configured to use a single DNS resolver, 127.0.0.1, and run Unbound.>>
>
> There is no advance of this solution over removing systemd-resolvf and
> pointing resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1 and running unbound.

He also spends a lot of time complaining about "implementing state
tracking against a stateless protocol" (he appears to think that that's
bad), yet the recursive DNS server he recommends implements exactly that
(https://www.unbound.net/documentation/info_timeout.html), and much more
(e.g., RTT tracking).

I'm not entirely sure what point he's trying to make other than that he
prefers the glibc nss-dns stub resolver when configured in a particular
way to the nss-resolve + systemd-resolved stub resolver.

--
Robert Edmonds