[dns-operations] the real reason for ICANN's gTLD expansion seems to be...

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Wed Dec 13 13:50:08 UTC 2017

> On Dec 13, 2017, at 5:52 AM, Phil Regnauld <regnauld at nsrc.org> wrote:
>
>> There's no reason to make domain ownership cheap for crooks who cycle
>> through (10s, 100s, ... of) thousands of domains.
>
> 	So, would setting domain registrations at 100 USD / year solve
> 	the problem ? I'm not sure pointing the finger at TLDs and SLDs that
> 	offer free or v. cheap delegations is going to solve the issue.

Final comment, my suggestion is not $100/yr, but rather a *minimum* of
$100 for the first N years (however many years $100 buys you).  This
raises the cost of buying and dumping domains, without raising the cost
of holding domains long-term:

   Domain Name: DUKHOVNI.ORG
   Creation Date: 2001-05-12T21:29:30.0Z

This is perhaps a "young" domain in the eyes of the graybeards on this
list. :-)

--
	Viktor.