[dns-operations] the real reason for ICANN's gTLD expansion seems to be...

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Mon Dec 11 18:19:17 UTC 2017

> On Dec 11, 2017, at 12:15 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
>
> I personally believe it would be important for the operational community, in particular both the DNS and security/anti-abuse operational communities, to provide input, early and often, that will help that policy development process incorporate lessons learned from those communities.

My $0.02, find some way to make initial domain acquisition be a
more costly longer commitment (perhaps with fees for remaining
years transferable between registrars to avoid registrar lock-in).

This should not deter bona-fide holders of a small number of real
domains.   It should reduce both domain squatting and abuse, and
perhaps deter creation of new gTLDs whose revenue model is hosting
shady domains.

Appropriate economic measures could also reduce the incentives for
bulk squatting operations, e.g. <http://webstrategi.se/>:

   We are a startup & huge owner of .se/.nu names (500 000+ total).
   Also check SEO value domains at https://seo.domains, our domain
   tools at https://domaineye.com and our amazing domain databases
   at https://alldomainsdb.com But by far our most impressive
   service are the expired SEO/PBN domains: https://seo.domains

Such activity should ideally be priced out of the market.  If true,
this single squatting operation currently represents at least 20% of
all .se/.nu domains (based on MX hostname sharing I can confirm at
least 140k domains in that group, perhaps the other 360k are set up
differently).

--
	Viktor.