[dns-operations] check if a domain has been registered via DNS

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sat Apr 29 20:17:50 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 04:24:12PM -0700, David Conrad wrote:

> Use of RDAP here seems largely irrelevant to the use case Mark and Paul are talking about, i.e., automated bulk queries.

I don't see why, since that use case was quite explicitly discussed
during WEIRDS to cope with use cases very much like this one.

> Do you think registries/registrars will not rate limit RDAP (differentiated access or not)?

Surely that will depend in part on what the consensus policy is.
There's no doubt whatever that they will do what they want if nobody
except registrars, registries, IPR interests, and privacy advocates
participate.  There are a _few_ antiabuse people participating, but
mostly just to argue that Nothing Better Change At All Ever Period,
which is not really that helpful.

Part of the problem does seem, at least to me, to be that somewhere
around 3 people actively participating appear to understand what one
can do with web services.  It makes for rather trying discussion.  But
with some more people explaining how to do a thing, maybe the message
will start to sink in.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com