[dns-operations] check if a domain has been registered via DNS

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sat Apr 29 06:32:30 UTC 2017

On 29 Apr 2017, at 1:24, David Conrad wrote:

> Use of RDAP here seems largely irrelevant to the use case Mark and Paul are talking about, i.e., automated bulk queries.
>
> Do you think registries/registrars will not rate limit RDAP (differentiated access or not)?

Of course they will. Just like any kind of differential access.

So the questions I think are:

1. Will there be differential access to whois data?

Answer: Yes, there is already that, although implemented in a clumsy way with whois/tcp/53 and much easier implemented with RDAP.

2. Do people want unlimited bulk address?

Answer: Of course they want to, even if that violates I do not know how many privacy legislations in the world, which in turn have lead to a business of lying, managing proxies and what not.

I.e. this is not an RDAP problem. The contrary, with RDAP we can implement in a more correct way what is already deployed...

;-)

   paf