[dns-operations] check if a domain has been registered via DNS

Mark Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Fri Apr 28 16:25:17 UTC 2017

Paul Vixie wrote:

> noting, these TXT (or whatever) records could not be at the delegation
> point or beneath it, since only DS will be found in the parent zone,
> whereas lookups for all other types will follow the delegation. so, to
> make something like this proposal possible, we'd have to use "cousin"
> domains, which is also what DS should have used, but it's too late there.
>
> for example, vix._metadata.com might be where one looks for registry
> metadata about a zone.

Right, so you could test for existence of _metadata.<tld> to see if that
TLD is doing this (and accord them preferential treatment in terms of
whitelisting or reputation points)

>> * a flag to announce various registry statuses (pendingDelete, on-hold,
>> expired)
>>
>> * a flag that announces if whois privacy is enabled (I really wish for this)
>>
>> * hey, while we're at it, a flag to announce if the string is available
>> for registration!
>
> even more than those, which i would value, i want to know the registrar
> identity. if i could blackhole whole registrars, my life would get
> easier. but as you imply, blackholing whois-privacy domains and
> pendingDelete domains would also help push the line of scrimmage back to
> midfield.

For sure - stick the IANA Registrar ID in there.

- mark

--
Mark Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com>
Founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.